A classic drink recipe for lounging by the pool or to impress friends
Throughout my childhood, my mother ordered a whiskey sour to begin any meal dining out. More than 1/2 the time, they were sent back for being too sweet or too sour. It became an entertaining part of every meal. As I grew older and developed my own opinions on cocktails, I was determined to make a whiskey sour that passed the harshest critic….Mom.
I wanted to learn more about the well-known drink as I figured out how to perfect it. Interestingly the whiskey sour’s first written recipe was in 1862 in The Bartenders Book by Jerry Thomas. The peak of its popularity was between the 1860s and 1960s…which could explain its growing popularity in Palm Springs.
Everyone has an opinion, and I saw hundreds of versions of this classic drink. Today recipes are easily found and are typically only a click away. I finally put together what is a perfect whiskey sour. It is relatively easy but tastes great and always impresses as an elevated cocktail.
Whiskey Sour Ingredients
This recipe is for four drinks. Adjust proportions for fewer drinks
- 6 Ounces Bourbon Whiskey- I prefer Makers Mark, but you can also use rye whiskey (above)
- 3 Ounces Fresh lemon juice- I often substitute Santa Cruz bottled organic juice
- 1 Ounce Simple Syrup- You can use 1 1/2 if you prefer a bit sweeter…mom did 🙂
- 3 Egg whites
- 4 Stonewall Kitchen Bourbon Bada Bing Cherries- For garnish
- Fill the shaker approx 1/4 full with ice. Add all ingredients except for cherries.
- Shake vigorously as that will activate the froth of the egg white.
- Pour into four cocktail glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish with the cherry that will float on the froth or use a pick with the cherry and a lemon slice.
- Drizzle some of the juice on top.
Be creative with different glass styles to fit the vibe of this modernist drink, and enjoy!
Written By Todd Monaghan
Best Whiskey Sour in Palm Springs
Bar Cecil – 1555 S Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264
Mr. Lyons – 233 E Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264
Find our more about palm springs